Post subject: Super Mario Bros 3, b-less and coinless run
Hello, I'm currently starting a button-b-less and coinless run in super mario bros 3. First of all, did you want to see it? Or do you have any tip and trick to give? I just started it recently. I have the first to level done in alpha version. I do think it's impossible to get the to whistle in the first world without using b button, I will need to get the third one in the second world. Anyway, here the start. http://www.esnips.com/web/alex5000yasOtherStuff Take the Alpha Run, Coinless, Bless.fcm
Really liked the second level. I didn't know you can gain so much speed without using the B-button.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
This could be interesting really. I vote Yes for this run =).
I was just wondering if the "run-behind-the-scene" effect lasts long enough to reach the end of the level to get the first whistle...I will try it Edit: Tried it and couldn't believe that I forgot that the level is that short... (that's been many "thats")
I just test it out. It do work! I will try to fly up in the forteress, but I have no idea how could it work... Edit: I didn't see your edit Edit 2: Well. If I do a no b run, I won't be able to open chest... so, a no-b run or a no 'run' run? And, I tought coinless was nice, but, what do you think?
Editor, Active player (466)
Let's see... grabbing the first whistle out of 1-3 requires pressing B to open the chest. Grabbing the one out of the castle requires getting up to the secret door (I just tried using the walk-through-walls trick to get there, but it just leads you to the boss battle). Grabbing the third whistle requires using a hammer, but you need to press B to get into your inventory to use the hammer. Without whistles, you would run into trouble in World 2's desert pyramid. You either have to pick up a beetle shell or whack the blocks with a raccoon tail. I'm not sure if the walk through walls trick can be done with just walking speed... If you managed to get past the pyramid, there would be other levels (6-3, I think, comes to mind) that would be problematic. So the possibilities basically boil down to whether or not you can glitch through walls with walking speed. I might therefore hazard a guess that this type of run is impossible... Edit: I think the best you could do would be a no running TAS. There would be the question of whether a run like this could be accepted (after all, "no running" is a pretty loose and arbitrary restriction), but if you could get around that, there would be two routes to consider: 1) Collects whistles. Pro's are that you would only have to press B a couple of times to collect the whistles (getting the 1-3 whistle and the desert whistle). Downside is that we already have the normal runs, which cover worlds 1 and 8, and this would rehash that somewhat (albeit with a twist). 2) Doesn't collect whistles. Pro's are that more levels are seen, and this would be more "new" than the alternative. Downsides are that so many levels seen without running could make the run boring and unnecessarily long. That's just my observation, though.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I was just talking to Fabian the other day about what would happen when we run out of good games to TAS.
<Fabian_> eventually we'll end up with "non-fireflower no switch palace only complete every other big boo world exit no dragon coins only kill enemies with spinjumps SDW"
I don't think is very entertaining, myself. But I wish you luck with it.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
JXQ wrote:
I was just talking to Fabian the other day about what would happen when we run out of good games to TAS.
<Fabian_> eventually we'll end up with "non-fireflower no switch palace only complete every other big boo world exit no dragon coins only kill enemies with spinjumps SDW"
I agree with JXQ, this wouldn't really interest me that much either, I mean a warpless tas, takes no damage tas, stuff like that is cool , but other stuff going down to details like not getting any coins that isnt very spectacular. But if you want to do it go for it.
Player (84)
yea man, leave smb3 alone. 2 movies is good enough. rock on...
I'd go with the previus speaker. Sure, the SMB "no run" movie was sweet but that's been done now. If a movie should be concept you need to come up with something new IMO.
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Active player (405)
Are any of you actually watching the video before saying "bad idea"? I found it actually fairly amazing how he managed to do those two short levels without B. The no-run SMB run was cool, but there weren't hills to slide down in that. Anyway, I'd suggest to forget about coinless and just concentrate on B-less. And your question about opening chests: I'd say, don't press B at all.
Has anybody read my post? I think the run is impossible because none of the whistles can be collected without pressing B, and a no-warps run seems impossible due to obstacles (like needing to pick up a shell in desert pyramid and needing to fly in ice world).
At Chef Stef, I will try it, I'm sure in the ice world we can with wall jump or something... And, seriously, I tought level 2 was quite fun. Sure, it will get better, but, for a alpha run, it's nice. And, yes, I will let off go the coinless thing.
Skilled player (1402)
blitzag wrote:
I will let off go the coinless thing.
Just let go of the B-less thing also. The SMB1 B-less movie was only posted as a joke, for showing a fun concept, not for making an extremely entertaining movie. If you are having fun making it, then please go on... but I somehow doubt it will get published.
Well, I will make it for fun. Anyway, do the walk trough brick trick work if we walk?
Former player
Yeah the smb b-less run wasn't made to be a serious TAS, it was just showing a concept. I haven't watched the movie you posted but I can't imagine an entire run of that game without holding "b" being exciting. You can always do a smb3 run on the snes allstars version. There is a glitch in that game where if you press left+right at the same time you run really fast. It might just be the same as p-run but no acceleration is required so it is faster. This is very helpful for water stages as you go much faster than by just swimming. Im not 100% sure if you can do the walk through walls glitch but I think you can. I would like to see this run if anybody did it. It would probably have to be warpless so you get a larger benefit from the left+right glitch. A minimalist run would probably not be much different than a minimalist on NES.
Active player (405)
I know it was done as a joke, but I actually found the speedwalk of SMB entertaining. Maybe that's just because I wasn't aware of the walljump trick before then. The SMB3 run has more applications than just that, though. Chef Stef does make a valid point, though. Unless there's a way to glitch through those areas (would be awesome if there was), I guess B-less is impossible. I'm convinced if there's a way to make this work, it would be entertaining... except, now that I think of it, the scrolling levels would probably be very boring, and World 8 has many of those.
Former player
Just based on your second level, I'd say it has a decent enough entertainment value. I would be interested enough to watch the whole thing. I cant see it as being publishable, but if you're doing it for fun it doesnt matter.
I only need to know the speed value in the memory viewer and I will be able to greatly improve the run. If someone good enough can make a little speed calculator in FCEU it would be really useful. And I'm sure I can glitch those thing.
I want to point out that I'm not trying to be pessimistic; I just want to make it clear that the run would work well as a concept demo, but would not likely be accepted because of the "loose" restrictions. With that said, I would be interested in seeing a run like this done. I worked on a run like this (not running) back when I was just learning how to make movies, and it was pretty fun. I discovered the sliding technique myself a long time ago. Good luck on the run - I hope you do find a way to glitch through the walls :)
Hope you keep posting WIPs. I'm really interested in this.
If you finish this run, I would watch it. However, I think this run will end up as a "demo run" -- similar to Bisqwit's no-run run for SMB. I do wonder if it's possible to finish the game (SMB3) without pressing the B button. I think it's probably much more fun to watch a SMB max-coin run. It's more entertaining to watch Mario get all the coins possible instead skipping the coins.
Experienced player (699)
JXQ wrote:
new games always come out.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Former player
andrewg wrote:
JXQ wrote:
new games always come out.
Still waiting for a good XBox 360 emulator with re-recording though... We can't invent old games... =/